Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Chasety downity, whackety backety

THE thing is, I was only supporting Sabine Lisicki because she played with a smile at the AEGON semi-finals in Birmingham, seemed to be a good player and, generally, seemed a nice person. I had no idea she'd reach the Wimbledon semi-finals on a wildcard. She has defeated number 4 in the world Li Na and number 9 Marion Bartoli, who herself defeated Serena Williams. I stopped blogging about it because I couldn't really believe it, and if you could hear me commentating on the tennis you'd probably stop reading for good anyway. In fact, I had to restrain myself on Twitter, waffling on and screaming triumph at every point won against Na. I was probably very annoying. That said, in response to this and whatever else I was spouting on about that day, Nelly kindly told me later: "I love how excited you get about, well, everything".

Tomorrow Lisicki faces Maria Sharapova in what will undoubtedly be a very tough match. No ladies singles player has ever won the Wimbledon Championships, but given that some people think she serves like a bloke, perhaps she can pull off a Becker or an Ivanišević? Be it on a big screen or on my laptop, hiding in a corner of the laboratory, I shall be watching and cheering along. This is going to be good!

Normal service will be resumed once the tennis has come to an end.

Post title from Thwok! by Matt Harvey.

No comments: