Friday, 30 November 2007

Where Poets Speak Their Hearts

I'll see you again
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill


AND that was New Zealand. It happened in such a blur I have been able to tell you so little of what happened. In fact, I wrote more about Singapore, while in Singapore, than I ever did of here. There was just so much to see, and so little time.

From the unbeatable beauty of the south island to the people and culture of the north, New Zealand did not disappoint. Alas I saw perhaps less of the north than I could have, due to devoting my attention to a rather large job application (and thus I can at least vouch for the standard of Kiwi internet cafes), but I have seen enough of it all to know that I am coming back. And I'm bringing you with me.

Yesterday I climbed One Tree Hill with Cat Holley, a friend from Birmingham, who is studying here for a year. One Tree Hill is an extinct volcano, now the home of lots of sheep, overlooking the city of Auckland. A former Maori pa, or fort, it currently carries the nickname of None Tree Hill, for in 2000 Maori activists damaged the tree in protest and it had to be removed on safety grounds.

So in a few hours I am flying off to Fiji, where I shall be island-hopping around the Yasawa islands. I therefore do not expect to have internet access until the USA straight after, so hang tight, and expect accounts of tropical paradises soon.

No comments: